How a Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You Financially
A Houston motorcycle accident can leave you with agonizing injuries, pain and suffering, and thousands of dollars in medical bills. Your body may be wrecked and never be the same. What should you do? Who should you turn to? If the motorcycle accident was caused by another driver, you should talk to a Houston motorcycle accident lawyer immediately.
Sandoval & Waldman are skilled motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston who can help you get the compensation you need for your devastating motorcycle injuries. Please keep reading to learn more about getting medical bills paid, how to file a legal claim, settlement amounts, and more.
A Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Get You Financial Damages
Did you know that 2/3 of all motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers who violate the rider’s right of way? Even when a Houston motorcyclist minds her own business, a negligent car or truck driver might change lanes or pull out in front of you. You slam into their vehicle doing terrible damage to your arms, legs, spine, and/or torso.
In such terrible situations, you may have the right to substantial compensation for the injuries caused by a negligent driver. Generally, the damages that are available to you in a motorcycle accident lawsuit fall into two categories:
- Economic damages: Damages for the direct financial harm caused to you, such as medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and lost earnings.
- Noneconomic damages: Intangible losses, such as the excruciating pain and suffering you endure from broken bones, skull fractures, cuts and bruises, internal injuries, etc.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Houston May Obtain Large Settlements
Every case is different, and there is no guarantee that you will obtain any financial amount in a settlement or verdict. That said, motorcycle accidents often cause horrific injuries and extensive property damages. Some of the compensation you could be entitled to in your Houston motorcycle accident claim are:
- Medical expenses – immediate and future: When you slam into another vehicle or object on a motorcycle, you are almost completely unprotected. The violence of smashing into a moving or immovable object is devastating to the human body. You could have a shattered leg, arm, pelvis, broken ribs, traumatic brain injury, damaged spinal discs or cord, etc. Some of these injuries can lead to hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. You may need massive amounts of compensation for bills, rehabilitation, and costs associated to long-term medical care caused by the negligent driver.
- Lost income: If you have a shattered leg, broken ribs, or a brain injury, you obviously are not going to be able to work, at least for the time being. You might even have a permanent motorcycle accident injury. Your Houston motorcycle accident attorney can claim compensation for the wages that you lose now and in the future.
- Pain and suffering: The pain and suffering you may endure from a major motorcycle accident can be horrible. Not only are you possibly entitled to compensation for your physical pain, you also could receive funds for mental anguish and emotional suffering as you endure tremendous pain and must see your shattered body every day.
- Punitive damages: If the other driver’s behavior showed a complete lack of concern for your safety or exceeded the scope of ‘typical’ negligence, the jury could award punitive damages to discourage that type of appalling behavior in the future. Texas law sets a cap on punitive damages. But this cap may not apply in certain situations.
Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Determine Liability
There are many possible liable parties for your motorcycle accident. If another driver hits your motorcycle from lack of attention or speeding, the driver will be held liable for your damages, most likely. But there also is a possibility that several drivers could share liability for your motorcycle accident. Or, a defective part could play a role in your accident; in that case, motorcycle accident lawyers may file a product liability lawsuit.
After you have suffered tremendous motorcycle accident injuries, it is natural to wonder who could be liable and what options you have to obtain compensation. It is vital to contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as quickly as possible. Your Houston motorcycle accident attorney can work to determine who is liable for your damages and the odds of succeeding with a personal injury lawsuit. Possible defendants in a Houston motorcycle accident lawsuit could be:
- Negligent driver
- Any party in the distribution chain of a defective part
- A government body that is responsible for the upkeep of the road where the crash occurred
- A truck driver or bus driver and/or his employer who caused the crash.
Texas follows a comparative negligence law. This means you could be held partially liable for your motorcycle accident injuries if you were negligent. For example, say a car turned left in front of you while you were driving straight on your motorcycle. Liability would generally fall on the driver who turned in front of you. But if you were doing 65 mph in a 50 mph zone, a jury may decide you were partially to blame for your injuries. Your potential compensation could be reduced according to your percentage of blame for the accident.
If your share of the fault is not more than the other driver’s, you still can recover damages.
Most Common Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are usually much more serious than crashes with passenger vehicles alone. Motorcyclists and passengers often are flung into cars, trees, rocks, and the pavement. Even if your injuries are not fatal, you could suffer for life with a permanent disability. Some of the most frequent motorcycle accidents are:
The most common and dangerous motorcycle wreck is where a car makes a left turn in front of your motorcycle. When pulling out into the road or intersection, the driver may not see your bike or may misjudge the distance. A sideswipe accident can be deadly for a motorcyclist, as you can be flung dozens of feet into the road. Slamming into the side of the car also can be fatal or lead to massive injuries, such as brain damage and/or paralysis.
To avoid such a disastrous crash, watch for signs that a car is about to turn in front of you, such as tires creeping forward, the car slowing down for a turn, etc. Cover your brakes with your hands and be ready for a stop.
Driver distraction causes far too many motorcycle crashes. In stop-and-go traffic in Houston, drivers need to pay strict attention to driving. When a driver looks away to check their phone or send a text, those 2-3 seconds of inattention can cause the car to slam into your bike from the rear.
You can stay in the area between the two cars behind you or pull in front of the car stopped in front of you to avoid a rear-end crash. Check your brakes regularly and make them flash several times when you are at a stop. Also, pay attention to what is coming up behind you when you are stopped.
Motorcycles are harder to see than passenger vehicles. This is no excuse for a negligent driver hitting you, but limited visibility does increase motorcycle accidents.
You can help avoid a motorcycle crash by not being in other drivers’ blind spots as much as possible. Take evasive action when you see a car next to you activate their turn signal. Honk or flash your lights to alert the driver to your presence.
Also, remember that some serious motorcycle crashes in Houston can be caused by defective motorcycle or vehicle parts, as well as poor maintenance. For instance, if your mechanic performs a brake job on your bike and you are unable to stop in an emergency, the mechanic could be liable for your accident injuries. The brake pad manufacturer could be liable for your injuries if the pads were defective.
Understand Your Legal Rights and Options With a Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
After a serious motorcycle accident, you are dealing with potentially devastating, life-changing injuries. To safeguard your rights to the best medical care you need to recover as much as possible, it is essential to have a complete investigation of the motorcycle accident by an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. Remember: The insurance company adjuster is representing the insurer’s interests, not yours.
That is why you should immediately contact Houston motorcycle accident lawyers Sandoval & Waldman. We specialize in taking decisive, aggressive actions to establish who was liable for your injuries, and we fight as hard as possible for the full compensation you are entitled to.
Under current Texas law, you could be eligible for money to compensate you for treatments for your injuries, current and future lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement, scarring, and more. Speak to one of our motorcycle accident attorneys in Houston today for a complimentary consultation.